Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Public (Fashion) Offender

One of the first (and best) purchases I've made since I moved out of Tingey Hall was a muumuu.  For those summer days when it's hot and you've just gotten home from work, and you have no desire whatsoever to wear work clothes, a muumuu is like heaven.  It's soft, it's airy, and it's got pockets. Not to mention, they come in some of the ugliest prints ever imagined.  Really what more could you ask for?
I wear my muumuu almost every day, but I do have limits:
1.  Never answer the door or stand too close to windows while wearing your muumuu
2.  Never EVER go out in public while wearing your muumuu
One particularly rough day, I was wearing my muumuu and was in desperate need of a Glacier, an ice cream cone-shaved ice hybrid, served at one of my hometown's most infamous restaurants, Taco Amigo.  I swear almost all of my high school has worked there at one point, and it is always crowded.  Lucky for me and my muumuu, the good old Taco Amigo has a drive-thru.  I grabbed a few dollars, hopped in my car, and headed out to get a Glacier.  I figured since I was going to be sitting down in my car with my seatbelt firmly across my body, I wasn't breaking any of the muumuu rules.  
So I went to the drive-thru, waited my turn in line (since it's always crowded), ordered a tiger's blood Glacier, and headed to the window to pay.  The total was $2 and some change, so I handed the girl working the window (who I knew from high school) my $2.  As I go to hand her my remaining balance, the change slips through her fingers onto the ground right outside my car and her window.  Oh shoot. I'm thinking.  I've got to grab this change, but there is a long line of people I probably know behind me, a cute girl from high school working the window (along with a few other people I recognized from school), and I'm wearing my muumuu.  I opened my car door and tried to reach for the change, but it was just barely out of reach.  In my mind I assumed I had no choice but to break rule number two:  I had to get completely out of my car, almost shut my door, grab the change, hand it to the girl safely in the window, and hop back in the car as fast as physically possible to reduce the amount of people that would see me in this hideous but-oh-so-light-and-airy sack on my body.  I proceeded to unbuckle my seatbelt and follow the remaining steps.  After a little trouble picking the change up from the ground, I leaped back into my car, grabbed my Glacier, and sped away.  The time between unbuckling the belt and rebuckling felt like an eternity: I am sure half the general public saw my lovely muumuu.  
Looking back on the situation, I realize I could have just grabbed another quarter and handed that to the girl, but hey, when your natural tendency is to be in an awkward situation, your brain's innate response is to shut off the common sense switch.  
Overall though, I recommend everyone buy a muumuu. Just don't break the rules.
Happy Summer, y'all.

--Sadie

No comments:

Post a Comment